The Hole of Horcum

The Hole of Horcum
The Hole of Horcum and Levisham Moor, taken from the Whitby to Pickering road

Tuesday 16 July 2013

LLoydminster

Loydminster straddles the border between Saskatchewan and Alberta, its an oil town, we are parked in a camping just across the road from a refinery or upgrader as they call it here, it converts the heavy oil to a lighter crude, which is easier to transport. There is no smell, many years ago I worked in Sarnia, Ontario which is another oil/gas town and I can still taste the air when I think about it. They have made incredible strides in cleaning up these dirty industries here in Canada. Don't know about the rest of the world, my industrial experience is limited to Sudbury, Sarnia and the nuclear power station at Pickering, I then went back to being a rural electrician in England and later on,France.
The drive was not as scenic as the last one but interesting none the less. the slow change from farming to farms with nodding donkeys and the odd oil tank, to oil with a bit of farming.
This afternoon after arriving here we went to The Barr Colony Cultural Centre, lots of pictures by a local artist, I'm afraid to say I was not impressed. A collection of stuffed animals by another local person which I thought I would just walk straight through, but to my amazement we found fascinating. The final exhibit was all about the oil and gas industry and the finding of, here in Lloydminster. Well worth the visit. we enjoyed it so much they had to chuck us out, they wanted to go home, and we had just got to the really interesting part with all the diesel engines and pipes and things to do with the stuff when they actually get it out of the ground, maybe I'll go back tomorrow.
Todays distance was 139km.

No comments:

Post a Comment